Sure enough, I do think I met God at Walmart yesterday. No, the sky didn't open up with a bright light and the harmonious sounds of angels singing. No, I didn't hear a thunderous voice. No, I wasn't dropped to my knees by his ominous presence. Yes, He did send one of His "angels of mercy" to meet my needs. Or, so it seemed.
My husband, Rich, and I went to Walmart on a mission to procure a grill and fixings for the much anticipated Memorial Day feast. We were expecting "the girls" and they were expecting a grilled delight and much fun filled day. The plan was going great until Rich reminded me of the last time he "fired up old Betsy." Fired up was exactly what happened with flames leaping to the height of about three feet. We just didn't have the heart to let her go. She was a blessing from someone who was moving about 7 years ago. Rich patched her up and put in new "guts" and she blessed us with many a satisfying meal. During the years Rich had replaced the rocks, burner, and rack. She has had many a "transplant." But, there comes a time when you just have to let your loved ones go. Today was the day for new beginnings.
So, we loaded up Jazzy on the back of the van and away we went down the trail to Walmart. (For those of you who don't know, Jazzy is my motorized wheelchair.) We are very thankful they built a new Walmart two miles down the road. It makes it so much easier to justify a shopping trip when you don't have to waste gas driving across town.
We went to the lawn and garden center. We looked over the selection and compared how many hoops they each could jump through and the number of Somalians required to watch them do that in our backyard and chose the most excellent replacement for Betsy. Then we looked like we were at a tennis match. We looked in unison at the box encasing our new acquisition and the then at the cart, then the box and then the cart. Nope, not going to fit no matter how many times we size it up. We looked from the cart to each other with that desperate deer in the headlight look and then it happened. He limped into our lives. A whitish haired man with a jolly belly that had definitely seen many a grilled feast and glasses lit up our lives with a smile and the warmest "may I help you" I had ever heard. He had a flat bed cart and just the right answer about which cover to protect our new treasure. He put it all aside for safe keeping for us while we went on a grocery safari. We procured the hamburg, brots, rolls and homemade ice cream fixings including fresh strawberries and headed back to the lawn and garden department. We found our friendly helper and he got our cart to the check out and brought it outside for us. I waited while Rich walked to the other side of the parking lot to get the van and drive it over to this side of the store. The friendly man said if I needed anything else he would be close by inside and went back in the store. As I sat there admiring the beautiful day God has made just for our feast, a woman pulled up and went back in and came out with a cart of dirt and flowers. I was thinking about our trip there a few weeks ago when we got dirt and flowers too. I thought about coloring with my grandgirls and how God must like to color too. Look how much fun he had with the flowers, sky, grass and yes even the dirt. As I was sitting there admiring God's handy work, the friendly man with the warm smile appeared and handed me a bag with the grill cover in it that he rescued from the check out cashier. He stayed outside with me, this time and as if he knew what I was thinking said, "People don't praise God enough for the wonderful things He gives us like this day!" That is when I felt it more than ever. It was like the orchestra had been tuning up--each section separately--the strings, the wood winds, the brass, the percussion and then "the conductor" lifted his baton and with the down stroke it all came together beautifully--each part came together to form a harmoniously pleasant symphony.
That' s God for you. He can take lemons and make lemonade--He adds a few ingredients that wipes away my tears and puts a big smile on my heart. Sometimes, those ingredients are family, friends or a blessed man at Walmart. Rich could have grumbled about the trek across the black tundra to get the van, I could have fussed about the wait or expense of a new grill but we found joy in His day and He put joy in our hearts by reminding us He is always there with us no matter where we go or what we are doing.
Well, Rich got the grill together without grumbling. The grilled grub was delicious and we all had a great time. I pray the friendly man at Walmart who helped us had some good quality time with his family too. He deserves lots of blessings.
17Alas, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and by Your outstretched arm! There is nothing too hard or too wonderful for You-- Amplified Bible
Lord, I thank you for all the beautiful things you have placed in my life. Not just my family and friends but the sunny days, flowers, trees, grass, sky, dirt, rainbows, back yard, house, ocean, beach, animals, childrens' smiles, giggles & hugs and everything too numerous to mention that has touched my heart. O sovereign LORD! You have made the heavens and earth by your great power. Nothing is too hard for you! Jeremiah 32:17 NLT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment