Thursday, June 5, 2008

Convinced but is it the truth

Elihu went on to say: "Are you so convinced you are right, that you say, I am more just than God'? For you ask what advantage it is to you, How do I gain from not sinning"? Job 35:1-3 (Complete Jewish Bible)



Job was in a mighty sticky situation. He had lost his children, wealth, and health. Now that is definately a set of trials that none of us wants to go through. Any one of them would make you question how it happened. But, Job was truly devistated and yet he did not blame God.



I have learned a lot lately about how bad things happen to good people. God is just. He set some things up from the very beginning so He wouldn't have to deal with it all. So many have said or done things and made decisions that seemed like a 'mosquito' at the time and found out it really was an 'elephant' that trampled them in ways they had not imagined. I used to tell my children to be careful making decisions because they had potential to ruin the rest of their lives as they had planned in a matter of a few seconds. When my son gave me that "what you talking about" look, I asked him a few questions. Ok, how long does it take to swerve over the center line in a car? How long does it take to aim a gun and pull a trigger? How long does it take to swallow a pill or smoke a pipe? How long to conceive or contract a STD? Or, to get in the car with someone who may force a bad decision consequence on you?



These examples are easy to picture but what about the less obvious? What about all the words we have spoken that set things in motion? God's word tells us if you do this then I'll do this. If you don't do this or do that then it will bring this on you. All the promises are met with conditions. So many times I have heard people justify their not giving there life over to God by saying if God was a loving God why would He allow this to happen. It is simple, if you speed you get a ticket. If you steal you have to pay the fine or go to jail. That's if you get caught. God has placed gravity in place as a natural law and he has just as powerful but unseen spiritual laws. Then God doesn't have to be policing us all the time. The things that happen are consequences for things that we may not realize you or your ancestors did. Don't panic. He gave us the rule book. His word tells us how to clear debts and make positive changes. It tells us of His love and marvelous grace. It tells us how he shed His precious blood and gave His life so that we may be redeemed and live an abundant life hear on earth and spend eternity in heaven with Him.

Lord, I am so thankful for your gifts. Your gift of grace that held me until I found you. Your gift of forgiveness and salvation. Your gift of unending unconditional love. Your presence that will never leave not forasake me. Your blessing on my life. I have so much to be thankful for and yet my mouth does not utter a sound. I am in awe of all you have done for me. How could someone so magnificent take the time to care for me? Love me so much He would give His one and only son for me to have a second chance at life and an eternal life in heaven? It is humbling. It is exciting. It is comforting. It is God.

No comments: