Proverbs 14:13a Even in laughter the heart may be in pain, ...
Isn't humor, after all, one way we cope with a tough situation? It's how I deal with tough situations best. I was hilarious in the labor room--or so the doctor and nurses kept telling me. I always have replied to that, "I would rather laugh than cry." And I'm thinking, "If I start crying, I'll loose it-I won't make it through this with any dignity intact." Lately, I let river of tears flow when the dam overflows. I'm just careful it only happens when God and I are alone. It is that fear of anyone knowing I haven't got it all under control. If it weren't for my relationship with Jesus, I would have given up long ago. "But, God.", has so much meaning to me. Regardless of how bleek the situation looks--But God! It makes me laugh. I laugh out loud when I think of all the times the devil tried to show me the circumstances and tried to tell me it was hopeless. But God came in and changed everything with the wave of His hand.
In Genesis 21:6 Sarah said, "God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me." I love that story of Sarah and Abraham. He was 100 and she was 90. They wanted children. The women around her all laughed when she told them God said she would have a child. Afterall, Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90. I have imagined Sarah may have snickered a little herself at the first thought of it. She was 90 and the desire of her heart seemed lost but God had not forgotten her or His promise; had He? The laughter at the thought of them having a child that swept through the village was turned to awe of God when Isaac was born. God has a sense of humor waiting until they were that age to bring forth a child and Abraham and Sarah did too--naming the baby Isaac which means laughter.
Job 8:21"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter And your lips with shouting.
This would make a perfect inscription on a Mother's Day card. The picture might have a boy fully clothed washing the dog in the tub with soap suds and water overflowing everywhere. A kodak moment where you are laughing and shouting all at the same time. Do you suppose God does that when you or I do crazy things? He is a loving Father so then He sent Jesus to help us clean up the messes we make. I am ever grateful He did that for me.
Psalm 126:2Then our mouth was filled with laughter And our tongue with joyful shouting; Then they said among the nations,"The LORD has done great things for them."
Through the tears come shouts of praise. That could be my mantra over and over throughout the pages of the story God has written me into. Over and over I have declared that I will live and not die and that I will live to declare the wonderful works of the Lord. Yes, He has done great things for me. He continues to do great things for me. It may not always look like it to those around me. To those who forgot to put on their "God glasses" on before looking at the circumstances. Sadly, I must admit I misplaced mine for a while too. I found them again today while I was doing the Beth Moore bible study on Esther-It's tough being a woman. My laughter started slowly. You know how it starts--a little snicker seeped out. Then a slight chuckle. Then a laugh. Then the sparkling eyes belly laugh. The ridiculously loud until the tears run down your face and your stomach hurts laugh is next. I am working up to it. Jesus is filling me up again with that living water that flows forth. I am preparing for rain--a torential downpour. When we all see the way He turns this thing around, it is going to be a catagory 5 hurricane of laughter. What do you think we should name it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment