Friday, August 21, 2009

Think of Excellence


This week has been one of those weeks when everywhere I turn and everyone I talk to is having the relationship issues to deal with. Grown children with their parents, parents with their grown children, spouses and significant others, grandchildren with grandparents, friends and many other relationship issues. I am serious, it is amazing how they have all "come out of the woodwork" and called or e-mailed me. My heart is overflowing with compassion and concern for them all.
I keep hearing "peace, pray for peace". Faithfully, He sends us comfort as we pray and make our requests know to Him. Remarkably, various scripture from Philippians 4 keeps coming up as well.


Phillipians 4:1-23 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Think of Excellence

1Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.
2I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to
live in harmony in the Lord.
3Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.
6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me,
practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
God's Provisions

10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity.
11Not that I speak from want, for
I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
13
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
14Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
15You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone;
16for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs.
17Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.
18But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.
19And
my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
20Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
21Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you.
22All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household.
23
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.


For many years, there has been a relationship mountain range of trials in my life. I believe it is time to make some changes and as always it needs to start with me. To see change around you, first you must see change in yourself. As Jesus said in Matthew 7:3, "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?


Attitudes are contagious and I only want to catch a good one. I have found myself "boosting my immune system" with the word to stay out of the muck and mire. I have been fervently praying more. I have found peace in the answer I found. Distance changes perspective and silence gives us more opportunity to hear the voice of our Shepherd. Pray for healing and give it time to work itself out and the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil 4:7)


Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Dwelling on things is like reruns in your mind. Reruns should be selective with a pure motive to seek truth. What do you play over and over in your mind and what do you do about it the second, third, fourth etc. time you play it? Is it what you could have said or done differently? Or is it to ask the Lord what if anything you should have said differently? Or do you still play the victim which may give you a false sense of justification for your words or actions? How many times do you replay it before you just stop and pray about it? At what point do you seek the truth and base your actions on it? How long before you forgive? Oh, the road to change can be rough. It can be like riding in a buck board on a muddy dirt road in the spring. The ruts can be deep but I am determined to make it to my destination-no matter how many wheels have to be changed.


I was reading from on of my devotionals today, A Word for the Day by J. D. Watson and the topic was of all things, Lovely. He said, "Lovely means acceptable, pleasing and amiable. One commentator explains, its :fundamental meaning is 'that which calls forth love'...Thus, the Christian's mind is to be set on things that elicit from others...admiration and affection.' " He goes on to say, "What a challenge! The Christian is to think and do things that will express love to others but also inspire love from others. William Tyndale captured the thought in his 1534 translation with "whatsoever things pertain to love." So, how do we accomplish that? It seems pretty obvious, does it not? We certainly will not endear ourselves to others, much less to God, by lying, stealing, cursing, gossiping, losing our temper, or any other such ungodly behavior. Rather, we will elicit admiration and affection from God and others by godly behavior. And the only way we can do and say such things is to think about such things."


I have set my mind to dwell on lovely things. My precious friend, Frances, has said, "You only have 3 seconds to cast out thoughts from your mind that you shouldn't be thinking and the best way is to do that is to speak forth good things." Thank you Lord for all your blessings--especially all the people you have placed in my life for whatever purpose you have orchestrated.


LORD, I give you permission to work out whatever it is you want to work out in me. However painful the exfoliation may be, I trust you to bring forth something new and desirable in me so that I can be a blessing to everyone you place around me in my life. Thank you for loving me through all my growth. And LORD, please bless all my friends, family and loved ones with Your peace in their relationships as well. In Jesus' name. AMEN



No comments: