Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Diligent Study

Hebrews 10:24 (Amplified Bible) And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities,



As I read this the word studying stood out to me. My husband and I recently finished the Love Dare book. The day that really impressed me was the one that spoke about studying your mate so that you could be a better spouse. It is one thing to read an article or a book on a subject and it is a totally different matter to study it. You can read about what is involved to become a doctor or watch a few movies or TV shows to get a more personal view but it is a whole different matter to make a commitment to set apart twelve years of your life to become a specialist in the area of medicine that you have a special interest--one you plan to practice for the rest of your life.



Some people would read that and say you are comparing apples to oranges. Some relationships are like comparing McIntosh apples to Granny Smith Apples. Others are like apples to oranges. It is like a man and his car. Have you ever noticed that some men clean their car and others don't. And with the ones who do there are varying degrees from just the outside or inside to a complete Q-tip detail including the tires. Women clean their homes in the same manner. You will find varying degrees from "get the bulldozer" to white glove test clean. And then there are the ones who are always consistent in what manner you will find it or you may never know what condition you will find it in based on their mood. You will find this to be true of relationships as well. Many have the idea that "it will always be there when I get around to it" or they may have a driving diligence to always work at it to keep it as "spotless" as possible. Somewhere in it all is truth.

When I think of a good relationship, I think of a diligent student.



Diligent 1. Quietly and steadily persevering especially in detail or exactness; "a diligent (or patient) worker" 2. Characterized by care and perseverance in carrying out tasks



I you are in it for the long haul you are willing to put in the extra care that is required. I have had many relationships over the last half century. Some were complex and some simple. Some where short and required little effort. Others have had varied lengths of seasons. Some go on like years with changing seasons and others are like only visiting the same vacation spot every summer. Others, sadly, are like being stuck in a blizzard with no power or shovel to dig out of the snowbank. The relationships with parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and best friends leave the deepest impressions on our hearts and are the ones that tend to bring you all four seasons of blessings and trials. They are the meat, vegetables and desserts of life. The appetizers, snacks, treats, junk food and occasional ethnic fares are what round out and complete our relational buffet. It is all there for the tasting and enjoyment. But it can cause heartburn or "allergic reactions" and oddly we often come back to the same thing over and over again without making any changes expecting to get different results. That is where the studying comes into play. You may be able eat Mexican food or Italian food if you take an antacid. You may be able to have a clam or two with benedryl or you made need and Epi pen. It is important to study a relationship and know your boundaries.

I recently watched a TV show that stated a needy person needs needy people. Then it proceeded to show a very good example. A lot of things made sense to me at that point with some people in my life and myself. I could have chose to look the other way or study it out to see how a better understanding of the inner workings of myself and others may improve our relationships. I believe it is selfish not to spend the time studying to improve relationships. It is arrogant to say "love me or leave me--take me as I am--deal with it" etc.. Today, I humbly search my heart for ways to love better. I have been enlightened by the statement "hurting people hurt people". It made me want to add but "healed people love people". And let us consider and give attentive, continuous care to watching over one another, studying how we may stir up (stimulate and incite) to love and helpful deeds and noble activities. I want to be healed, whole and complete loving all God's people as He loves them. How do I grasp the concept of how much God loves us? It is a study I will be diligently continuing until I leave this earth. Then, and only then, will I begin to know how much He loves us. Then, the eternal study of worship will begin.



No comments: