Thursday, October 2, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

2 Corinthians 3:18And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continued to behold [in the Word of God] as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit.

I woke at 4 am to severe head and neck pain and a rare thing-hunger pain-that quickly went to waves of nausea, then feeling like I'm falling over backwards which is wild when you are lying on your back and on and on. I was on the roller coaster again--the big one. I imagined myself really on one and it softly came to me: sit back, raise your arms, scream out to God and ride it out. He'll keep you safe. You never are given more than you can bare. Your rescuer is only a call away.

Amusement parks are interesting. People pay money to be 'turned upside down'--sort of controlled chaos and when it's over we laugh and praise God we made it through. That's been my life for the last five years without leaving my house or mostly my bed.
The house of mirrors distorts the truth-God's word and promises. The enemy does this daily trying to tell me I'm not healed when the truth is my Jesus gave me that gift along with my salvation. It's totally laughable. My whole life as it appears in the mirror today is totally laughable. I pass many mirrors of fact and truth everyday. The one with purple legs and hands. The one where I am dancing in praise and worship. The one with purple bags under my eyes. The one where I am walking the beach holding Rich's hand. The one that I see the drooping face muscles talking slurs and drooling food and drink. The one where I am swimming with my grandgirls and making sand castles. The one where I don't have the energy or breath to get up to go to the bathroom. The one where I am driving my van going shopping and out to lunch with Janice and going to bible studies with Brenda and Michelle and prayer meetings at church--spending time with the precious sisters God has placed in my life. The one where I am standing for prayer, singing praises, dancing and worshiping, cooking and cleaning-not just for my husband but blessing others, going out for date night with my husband, going to visit friends, going to museums, aquariums, zoos, playing with Britney and Allison and doing fun stuff with Christi and Thomas. There is so much I see in those mirrors of things I want to do it could fill the Grand Canyon.

When you look in the fact mirror and then in the truth mirror, it's sort of like feeding 5,000 people with three loaves of bread and two fish. At first its laughter that spills forth at the thought of it but then I remember God can do anything. He can turn my situation around in a heartbeat. Just as things can go so wrong in an instant (like last week) they can be made right again. After all, one minute I was in sin and going to hell and then I found Jesus--the light was turned on and now I'm not stumbling in the dark and I'll be spending eternity in heaven when my time is done here. In the meantime, I'm going to avoid the lying fact mirrors and seek out the truth mirrors that tell me God has a good plan for my life-whole, healed and restored. I'm raising my hands and crying out to God in the loudest shouts possible. He's laughing at the lying symptoms because they are easily defeated. He can do anything--I just need to let Him. Then, the roller coaster ride can come safely to a stop.

1 Corinthians 13:12For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection [of reality as in a riddle or enigma], but then [when perfection comes] we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been fully and clearly known and understood [ by God].

No comments: